12.06.2011

Pre-Flight Info

I used to be fabulous.  When I was in my 20's, I lived in Manhattan with a cute husband, an oversized, underpriced apartment off Central Park West, and notions of working in the fashion industry.  An impulsive cold call (to a fairly famous fashion journalist I saw being interviewed on TV) ended up in a stint as an editorial assistant on a book about the modeling industry, which then led to dream jobs writing for Estee Lauder and Donna Karan.  Fashion shows, parties, makeup, clothes--every patriotic American girl's dream! 

And then came Wyley in the baby carriage. . .followed by Adeline. . .and Phoebe.  Choo's replaced by choo-choo's; Prada by Playdoh; fashion-forward NYC by family-friendly Seattle.  Worth every yummy, sticky, cuddly, scatological, joyful, terrifying second, as any mommy (of the non-Dearest persuasion) will attest to.   And somehow, all of a sudden, 10 years had gone by, and my daughters were watching Project Runway instead of Powerpuff Girls.  They started hanging on to every word of my venerable "Tales from the Olden Days," like the time I saw Tyra Banks take her first walk down the runway, or when I got to interview Isaac Mizrahi for an Oscars fashion report.  Rehashing all that fabulosity made me really miss it--not the celebrity so much, but the CREATIVITY.  I had amazing teachers, experiences, and a huge portfolio of polished publications to show for all my work, and started feeling not only itchy, but ready, to get back to using what I'd learned and what I had in me.

Easy, right?  I mean, how many seasoned fashion copywriters/editors/proofreaders can there be in Seattle?  That is a whole saga in itself, which I will be chronicling here in somewhat-less-than-gory detail.  But really, that's not the main point of this blog.  More than anything, it's a love letter to all the cool women I know who have launched their own second acts.  Women like me: wives and mothers with a need to feed a personal passion or ambition.  Each one of these gals had the boundless bravado, kickass creativity, and unearthly energy to start something totally new.  And though the success of their ventures may not be easily calculated on a monetary level just yet, the fact that they took their visions and turned them into something tangible is a joy to behold.  Not only is it inspirational for me as someone still struggling to get out of the gate,  but it warms my heart, as a life-long "chick cheerleader," to see these women taking off!

Stay tuned for my first profile, coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stefanie... I am one of these women and I know many myself. As a coach, I am noticing the exact same thing! I love the spirit of your blog and your ability to express this energy with such a perfect description--one that all women now burning with this intense drive to create can relate to. The Divine Feminine is emerging for the good of Humanity and many women are confused and don't know how to answer that call. I am sure your blog will help them define what it is that they are feeling. I invite you to check out my recent blog post where I flirt with this topic a bit:http://aspiritfull.wordpress.com/2012/02/29/flowing-into-your-juicy-middle/. I will certainly share your blog with many clients and friends. Leigh www.aspiritfull.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete